We live in a culture that teaches us to feel insecure about our bodies...
We live in a culture that teaches us to feel insecure about our bodies. The image of beauty and perfection we're taught to aim for is one that keeps getting thinner and thinner. It's not surprising that so many people are consumed by a voice that constantly says, “you're not good enough.”
Eating disorders don't just take over eating habits, they take over entire lives. Although eating disorders might start with a simple diet, they metastasize, like cancer, and they will strive to destroy your mind, spirit, relationships, and future.
Whatever form of disordered eating you're struggling with, the therapists at Light the Way Counseling are ready to help you get your life back.
We Can Help You:
- Learn how to live peacefully and healthfully with food
- Reduce or eliminate negative behaviors like bingeing and purging
- Build self-esteem and improve body image
- Learn new coping skills for dealing with stressful situations
- Identify and challenge dysfunctional thoughts that perpetuate disordered eating
Signs and Symptoms of Disordered Eating Include:
- Intense fear of gaining weight
- Dramatic weight loss or weight gain
- Being overly concerned with calories and fat content of foods
- Visible food restriction, bingeing, and/or purging
- Hiding food in strange places to avoid eating or to eat at a later time
- Unusual food rituals like moving food around on the plate so it appears eaten
- Isolation and fear of eating around or with other people
- Low self-esteem and feelings of worthlessness
- Loss of menstrual cycle